Art Basel has announced the cancellation of its 2020 edition slated for September in Basel according to the art body.
In a statement sent to onefinearts.com, Basel said, “After extensive analysis of the current global situation, Art Basel has decided
not to hold its Basel show. The fair was scheduled to take place at Messe Basel
from September 17 to September 20, 2020, after having previously been
postponed from June.
The statement by Marc Spiegler, Global Director, Art Basel said: ‘We are acutely aware that our galleries are facing unprecedented challenges and economic difficulties, and we had fervently hoped to support the art market’s recovery with a successful fair in September. Unfortunately, the uncertainties that we face remain too high. The best way forward for our Basel show is therefore to focus on delivering a fair of the same exceptional international quality that the artworld expects from us next June, as we continue to support our galleries by further developing our digital platforms and by delivering our upcoming shows in Miami Beach and Hong Kong.’
According to the statement posted on the body’s website, some of the reasons for the cancellation include, “the health risks posed by large gatherings, the limitations on intercontinental travel, as well as the unclear Swiss regulatory environment for shows of Art Basel’s size”.
The body whose main reason for the cancellation is based on the Covid 19 epidemic and refer to it as (these uncertainties), have decide that the best option concerning the Basel show is to focus on next year’s edition. The next edition of our Basel fair is now slated to take place from June 17 to June 20, 2021, with preview days on June 15 and June 16, 2021.